UAFS Summer 2020 Pass/Withdraw Frequently Asked Questions


The University of Arkansas - Fort Smith is offering students the option of choosing either a letter grade or Pass/Withdraw option for summer 2020 courses. This option is a reflection of the challenging environment presented by the COVID-19 coronavirus. Students will receive letter grades for summer I and summer II 2020 classes but can elect to have grades for individual courses they have passed (grades of A,B,C,D) changed from a letter grade to a "P" (Passing). They will also have the option to withdraw from a course. 


Students who wish to use the Pass/Withdraw option should complete the online Pass/Withdrawal Request Form. Students will need to use their UAFS credentials to access the form through The form will not open until final grades are posted on My UAFS (summer I 5-week courses: July 9; summer I 10-week and summer II: August 12.


A pdf form is also available for download.  Please email the completed form to Jordanna Shotzman, Assistant Registrar, at


It is important to note that some academic programs, licensing agencies, or accrediting agencies have different requirements for the scores needed to receive passing grades. For your convenience, we have created a document that details which programs are able to accept a "P" as an acceptable grade for advancing toward your degree.PDF document (PDF will open in a new tab) The programs are broken out by college. You must contact your academic advisor if you have questions regarding the cut off for a "passing" grade in your particular academic program.  


 Should you have any additional questions regarding the Pass/Withdraw option please contact our Registrar, Wayne Womack, at




Pass/Withdraw Option Frequently Asked Questions:

How does it work? 

Students will receive letter grades for all summer I and summer II 2020 classes, and after final grades are posted students will have three choices:

  1. Keep the letter grades in their classes. No action needed by student.
  2. Elect to have letter grades from courses they have passed (grades of A,B,C,D) changed from a letter grade to "P" (passing)*. 
  3. Withdraw (W) from the course. Withdrawal will show as "WC" (Withdraw Covid)** on transcript.

Students may complete the Pass/Withdrawal Request Form after final grades are posted. (Students must use their UAFS credentials in order to access the form.)

  • Requests for all summer I courses that end on or before July 3 can begin to submit requests when final grades are posted on My UAFS on July 9.
  • Requests for all summer I 10-week courses and summer II courses can begin to submit requests when final grades are posted on My UAFS on August 12.

NOTE: Final grades should be checked on My UAFS (not in Blackboard) before making the decision to change the grade.


All requests for summer I and summer II must be received by the Registrar's Office by 5 p.m. on Friday, August 21, 2020. Grade changes requested are final after this date and cannot be reversed. Some degrees, licensing agencies, and/or accrediting bodies have specific letter requirements that may not be satisfied with a "P." Students should speak with their academic advisor if they have any questions or concerns about using a "P" grade to meet degree requirements. 


Passing - A student who earns a passing letter grade may request to have the letter grade replaced with a "Passing" or "P." The semester credit hours earned will count toward degree completion and graduation; however, they will not affect the student's grade point average (GPA) calculation. (Please remember: Some academic programs, licensing agencies, and/or accrediting agencies have different requirements for the scores needed to receive passing grades. Please contact your Academic Advisor if you have questions regarding the cut off for a "passing" grade.) 


** Withdrawal - Students who have not earned passing grades, or who are unhappy with the final letter grades in their courses, may request to withdraw from the courses. Courses from which students withdraw will not count in the GPA calculation nor will they count toward degree completion. Students may be required to retake and again pay for courses required for degree completion. Withdrawal will show as "WC" (Withdraw Covid) on transcript.

Who has the option of applying to have grades replaced with P/W ? 

All students enrolled in summer I and summer II 2020 classes may request letter grades to be replaced with a P or W.

Do I get to choose which classes change to P/W?

Yes. You may keep your letter grade(s) by taking no action, or request to change a letter grade in a course to P or W on a course-by-course basis.

How can I request to change a course grade to P/W? 

The Pass/Withdrawal Request Form is available on Students should use their UAFS credentials to access the form. 

What is the impact on my financial aid package? 

Please contact the Office of Financial Aid ( if you have concerns about how requesting a P/W may change your specific financial aid package; however, the CARE Act provides guidance which allows us to be very liberal with the calculation of Satisfactory Academic Progress as a direct result of implications from COVID-19. There may be impacts on grant and scholarship qualifications, so please check with the organization providing the grant or scholarship if you have questions.

How will this affect my ability to get into graduate school? 

Like UAFS, most institutions are aware of the challenges faced by university students who are applying for graduate and professional programs. Please contact the institution to which you are applying to determine the potential impacts of changing letter grades to P or W before selecting that option.